Art automobiles are lined up to be registered on the 2018 Burning Man DMV.
Andy Barron/RGJ, Reno Gazette Journal
Burning Man seems to be trying to reckon with its exploding reputation and commodification.
The organization’s CEO, Marian Goodell, laid out “substantive” modifications to how Burning Man would promote tickets this yr in a prolonged publish made to the Burning Man Journal over the weekend. The modifications are an try and combat an growing culture of exclusivity and consumerism created by pay-to-play “concierge-sort” camps on the playa.
The hope, in response to the publish, is that the modifications will “make sure that those prepared to make the trek to Black Rock City are ready to contribute” and stop concierge camps from buying blocks of tickets.
The camps in query are run for profit and supply pre-packaged lodging and different commodities without the planning, work and different sweat equity often associated with making a trip to Black Rock Metropolis.
Modifications to Burning Man ticketing:
More details on 2019 tickets are anticipated to be posted to tickets.burningman,org in “a matter of days,” Goodell wrote.
In the meantime, this is what Burners should anticipate this yr:
- The pre-sale, which is just like the early-chook sale for tickets, shall be moved until after the directed group sale, which is for burners who’re “key contributors to Black Rock Metropolis (theme and mutant car camps, artwork collectives, and core groups).”
- That directed group sale can also be growing by 10 % extra tickets in an try to boost “meaningful participation.”
- The appliance-based mostly Low Revenue Ticket Program will grow by 18 %.
- The group can also be decreasing the number of excessive-priced tickets out there by 30 %: “Greater-priced tickets will now be limited to 2 per individual as an alternative of 4 per high-priced tier, and consumers in what was formerly the “Pre-Sale” will not have the ability to participate in subsequent public sales,” Goodell wrote.
- The limited sale may also be eliminated this yr, which for the previous two years allowed burners to purchase $1,200 tickets into July, based on the submit.
Social media influencers at Burning Man
Goodell’s publish also immediately calls out the growing numbers of social media influencers and other similarly-sponsored attendees who use the occasion’s image to promote products or commercially achieve via social media posts.
It also reminds new and veteran burners of the ten rules of the event, which, amongst other issues, mandates radical inclusion, decommodification and radical self-reliance.
In the wake of Burning Man 2018, the organization compiled a fifty five-web page report detailing examples of commodification and other people exploiting the Burning Man tradition.
“Whether or not it’s business photograph shoots, product placements, or Instagram posts thanking ‘pals’ for a helpful merchandise, attendees including…