Jayhawks win spherical one in every of Sunflower Showdown

LAWRENCE, Kan. – A pair of clutch free throws from redshirt-sophomore guard Malik Newman with 15 seconds remaining helped the No. 12 Kansas Jayhawks outlast Kansas State, 73-72, Saturday afternoon inside Allen Fieldhouse in the Dillons Sunflower Showdown. Senior guard Devonte’ Graham led all players with 23 points, 15 of which came in the second half, and was joined in double figures by sophomore Udoka Azubuike, who turned in an 18-point effort along with eight rebounds and a career-high five blocks.

The win gave Kansas its third-straight and pushed the Jayhawks to 14-3 on the year and 4-1 in league play. Kansas State fell to 12-5 in 2017-18 and 2-3 in Big 12 play.

Finding themselves trailing by three points on two occasions in the final five minutes of action, the Jayhawks got two key 3-pointers from Lagerald Vick to answer the Wildcats’ Dean Wade, who posted five of his 22 points at the 4:58 and 3:30 marks. Newman followed Vick’s buckets with a jumper from the free throw line to give Kansas a 69-67 lead with just under 2:30 to be played in the game.

KSU’s Barry Brown Jr., answered with a 3-point play on an and-one lay-up on the Wildcats’ ensuing possession to give his team back the lead. But Azubuike put Kansas back on top on his offensive rebound and follow on the other end with 90 seconds remaining to give the Jayhawks a 71-70 edge.

Xavier Sneed of K-State was fouled after snaring on offensive board of his own with 30 seconds left, and converted on both free throws to push his team ahead for the final time.

On the Jayhawks’ final offensive possession, Newman found space in the lane and drove past Makol Mawien, who fouled the KU guard on his lay-up attempt. Newman swished both charities to hand KU the lead for the final time at 73-72 with 15 ticks left on the clock.

K-State had a chance to win the game when Brown put up a 23-footer, but the shot clanked of the side of the rim as time expired to end the game with a one-point Kansas win.

The Jayhawks, whose 11-plus 3-pointers per game rank among the top-10 in the nation, again showed their hot hands from long-range early. KU hit each of its first three shots from beyond the arc, helping the home side get out to an early 13-4 lead over the first four minutes of action.

K-State refused to let the game get out of hand though, much due to impressive first-half performances from KSU’s Xavier Snead and Dean Wade. The Wildcat duo combined for 21 first-half points, which included 12-straight from the pair to give their team the edge late in the half. Wade’s jumper with just over three minutes before the break handed Kansas its first deficit of the contest, and capped a 16-3 Wildcat run to put KSU up 29-24.

The K-State lead increased to six points after back-to-back KU turnovers resulted in five Wildcats points, including a Cartier Diarra steal and lay-in, making the score 34-28 heading into the final 60 seconds of the first frame.

Mykhailiuk single-handedly erased the…

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *